Cristian Ducu, PhD
General Manager; Ethics & Compliance and Sustainability Expert
Cristian holds a PhD in Moral Philosophy, magna cum laude, from the University of Bucharest and he has an extensive experience (over 10 years) in management consulting (especially in Ethics & Compliance Management Systems and Organizational Change) and training.
Between 2007 and 2013, he managed a Romanian company called Smart Solutions & Support specialized in Ethics & Compliance consulting. In 2007, as part of his efforts to promote Ethics & Compliance, he launched the first European training program dedicated to this field. This way, he helped training the first Romanian Ethics & Compliance Officers from companies, public institutions and NGOs.
In 2008, as part of his work with Smart Solutions & Support, Cristian established the Centre for Advanced Research in Management and Applied Ethics (CARMAE). In 2013, he made a significant change by transforming CARMAE into an independent research centre aiming at advancing the fields of Applied Ethics and Organizational Development in Central and Eastern Europe.
In 2009, Cristian launched a multi-annual project called “Ethics and Compliance Management in Romanian Public and Private Organizations” (MECOPP Ro). The MECOPP Ro project has been supported by Smart Solutions & Support, Dinu Patriciu Foundation and CARMAE. Currently, MECOPP Ro is exclusively funded by CARMAE.
Cristian used to be a member of the National Bioethics Commission of the National Commission of Romania for UNESCO until the unofficial dissolution of this institution. He is also one of the founding members of the Research Centre in Applied Ethics, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, where he served as its first Executive Director, between 2004-2011.
Between 2010-2017, Cristian was a visiting lecturer at various faculties from the University of Bucharest and the National School of Political Science and Public Administration. In 2017, he decided to dedicate all his time to CARMAE and the European Ethics & Compliance Association.
An extensive resumé can be accessed on Cristian’s personal website.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
• Applied Ethics (Business Ethics, Mass-Media Ethics, Advertising Ethics, PR Ethics, Public Administration Ethics, Research Ethics, Ethics in New and Emerging Technologies)
• Ethics & Compliance Management (including Corporate Social Responsibility / Sustainability, Anti-Corruption, and Anti-Bribery)
• Organisational Change, Organisational Behaviour
• Non-Financial Audit & Reporting (including Supply Chain Integrity Assessment)
Training Past Activity (selection)
• Anti-Corruption. Prevention of Conflicts of Interest Training Modules; programme developed for Romanian Ministry of European Funds, Sinaia, October-November 2015. 5 training sessions, over 100 trainees.
• Ethics in European Affairs Module, part of the “Specialization in European Affairs” Program; European Institute of Romania, Bucharest, November 16-18, 2015. 3rd training session.
• Ethics in European Affairs Module, part of the “Specialization in European Affairs” Program; European Institute of Romania, Bucharest, July 1-3, 2015. 2nd training session.
• Ethics in European Affairs Module, part of the “Specialization in European Affairs” Program; European Institute of Romania, Bucharest, March 13-15, 2015. 1st training session.
• “Training and Development for Ethics and Integrity Assurance in Public Administration” Program; Centre for Legal Resources & National Office for Public Servants, February-April, 2015. 2 sessions, app. 50 trainees.
• “Training and Development for Ethics and Integrity Assurance in Public Administration” Program; Centre for Legal Resources & National Office for Public Servants, May-September, 2014. 3 sessions, app. 60 trainees.
• European Affaires procedure-based training; Romanian Ministry of Internal Affairs, Bucharest (Romania), August, 2014. 5 sessions, app. 100 trainees.
• Implementation of National Anti-Corruption Strategy (SNA 2012-2015) at the Level of Local Public Administration workshops; Romanian Ministry of Regional Development and Public Administration, Bucharest (Romania), June-July, 2014. 20 sessions, app. 1000 participants.
• Police-Citizen Communication; IPJ Ilfov-IGPR-SNPPC, Bucharest (Romania), August 27-28, 2013.
• “Promoting Integrity and Social Responsibility in Romania” Training Program – Introduction to Social Responsibility. Introduction to Ethics Management; Transparency International Romania, Bucharest-Timisoara-Craiova-Pitesti-Constanta (Romania) 12 series (January-July, 2013). Estimated 200 trainees.
• Social Responsibility Managers; JCI Romania, Predeal (Romania), Series 1 (May 19-24, 2013) and 2 (May 27-June 1, 2013).
• “Leading with Integrity” Workshop; with Tudor Chiuariu, Chiuariu & Assoc., Bucharest (Romania), July 12, 2012.
• “Corporate Social Responsibility – solution for a sustainable activity” Workshop; Junior Chamber International Romania, Cap Aurora (Romania), Session 1 (June 21-24, 2012) & Session 2 (June 28-July 1, 2012) & Session 3 (July 5-8, 2012). App. 60 trainees.
• “Promoting Integrity and Social Responsibility in Romania” Training Program – Introduction to Social Responsibility. Introduction to Ethics Management; Transparency International Romania, Bucharest. 15 series (June-December, 2012). Estimated 350 trainees.
• “Ethics and Attitude”; School of Communication, SynergEtica Foundation, Bucharest (Romania), June 2, 2012. App. 20 trainees.
• “Journalism during Local Elections. Ethical and Legal Limits”; Agerpres, Bucharest (Romania), March 6, 2012. App. 30 trainees.
• “Sustainable Partnerships and Good Practices in Social Responsibility” Workshop; Junior Chamber International Romania, Mamaia (Romania), Session 2 (August 18-21, 2011) & Session 3 (August 25-28, 2011). App. 50 trainees.
• Ethics for Architects. Crash Course; Hulsta Studio Summer School, Bucharest (Romania), July 26, 2011.
Interviews and Press Materials
• Interviu cu Cristian Ducu. “Bunătatea trebuie promovată din primii ani de şcoală” [Interview with Cristian Ducu. “Goodness must be promoted from the first years of school”]; interview by Irina Buda, “Psychologies”, November 2010, pp. 84-87.
• Soluţia anticriză pentru companii: moralitatea [Anti-Crisis Solution for Companies: Morality]; interview by Cristina Bobe, HotNews.ro, June 22, 2010.
• Sunt campaniile de responsabilitate socială cu adevărat etice? [Are Social Responsibility Campaigns Truly Ethical?]; article by Cristina Bobe, HotNews.ro, June 20, 2010.
Latest Publications (articles, selection)
1.1. In peer-reviewed journals
• DUCU, Cristian (2010), Rolul argumentului funcţiei în etica aristotelică [The Role of the Ergon Argument in Aristotle’s Ethics]; în “Revista Română de Filosofie Analitică”, vol. IV, 2010, nr. 1, pp. 71-97.
• DUCU, Cristian (2007), Argumentele lui John Stuart Mill pentru non-intervenţie [John Stuart Mill’s Arguments for Non-Intervention]; în “Revista Română de Filosofie Analitică”, vol. I, 2007, nr. 1, pp. 109-126.
• Ducu, Cristian (2004), Între Holocaust şi Jihad: două fenomene ale violenţei [Between Holocaust and Jihad: two phenomena of violence]; în “Buletinul Universităţii Petro-Gaze din Ploieşti”, vol. LVI, Seria Ştiinţe Umaniste, 2004, nr. 5, pp. 131-137.
• DUCU, Cristian (2002), Conceptul de fericire în comentariului lui Thoma de Aquino la “Etica nicomahică” [The Concept of Happiness in Thomas Aquinas’s Commentary on “Nicomachean Ethics”]; în “Analele Universităţii din Bucureşti. Seria Filosofie”, vol. 2, new series, 2002, pp. 27-42.
1.2. In volumes
• GHINEA, Cristian & Bianca Toma & Oana Ganea & Alexandru Damian & Cristian Ducu (2015), Raportarea non-financiară văzută de performeri [Non-Financial Reporting as Seen by Performers]; Policy Memo 64 CRPE, Romanian Center for European Policies, Bucureşti.
• TANASESCU, Elena Simina & M.A. Balosin & C. Dima & C. Ducu & Şt. Oanţă & R. Popescu (2015), Lobby în România vs. lobby în UE [Lobby in Romania vs. Lobby in EU]; Institutul European din România, Bucureşti.
• DUCU, Cristian & Bianca Toma (2014), Obligativitatea raportării non-financiare de către companii din UE. Impactul Directivei 2014/95/UE asupra mediului de afaceri din România [The Obligation of Non-Financial Reporting for European Companies. The Impact of Directive 2014/95/UE on the Romanian Business Sector]; Policy Memo 57 CRPE, Romanian Center for European Policies, Bucureşti.
• DUCU, Cristian & Ruxandra Băndilă (2013), Cercetare asupra standardelor internaţional de raportare non-financiară – document de lucru al Coaliţiei pentru Afaceri Curate [Research on the International Non-Financial Reporting Standards – working paper of the Clean Business Coalition]; Clean Business Coalition, Romanian Business Leaders Foundation, Bucharest.
• LUPU, Rodica & Tincuţa Apăteanu & Romeo Denunzio & Cristian Ducu (2013), Manager în Responsabilitate Socială. Manual curs [Social Responsibility Manager. Handbook]; “Act responsibly!” Project, Junior Chamber International Romania, Bucharest.
• LUPU, Rodica & Cristian Ducu & Tincuţa Apăteanu & Cristina Toma (2013), Integrarea responsabilităţii sociale în organizaţii. Ghid metodologic pentru patronate, sindicate, camere de comerţ, asociaţii de IMM-uri, organizaţii neguvernamentale şi comitete sectoriale [Integrating Social Responsibility within Organizations. Methodological Guide for Owners Associations, Trade Unions, Chambers of Commerce, SMEs Associations, NGOs and Industry Committees]; “Act responsibly!” Project, Junior Chamber International Romania, Bucharest.
• Cospănaru, Iulia & M. Maier & R. Mitică & V. Defta & I. Cărtărescu-Petrică & C. Ducu (2013), Campioni ai integrităţii. Linii directoare de conduită pentru o companie lider, 2013 [Champions of Integrity. Guiding Lines concerning Conduct for Leading Companies, 2013]; “Together for Integrity, Social Responsibility, and Sustainable Development” Project, Transparency International Romania, Bucharest.
• ALISTAR, Victor & I. Cărtărescu-Petrică & V. Defta & I. Lungu & M. Maier & C. Ducu (2013), Arii de conformitate. Direcţii de lucru [Compliance Areas. Work Directions]; “Together for Integrity, Social Responsibility, and Sustainable Development” Project, Transparency International Romania, Bucharest.
• LUPU, Rodica & Cristian Ducu & Georgiana Grigore & Cristina Horia & Alin Stancu (et al.)(2012), Bune practici în parteneriatele pentru responsabilitate socială. O analiză naţională a 550 de proiecte de responsabilitate socială implementate în parteneriat [Good Practices in Social Responsibility Partnerships. A National Analysis of 550 Projects of Social Responsibility projects Implemented through Partnership]; “Act responsibly!” Project, Junior Chamber International Romania, Bucharest.
• DUCU, Cristian & Oana Furtuna & Iulia Drajneanu (et al.)(2011), Integritatea în mediul de afaceri din România. Cercetare asupra mecanismelor de instituţionalizare a eticii în companii, 2011 [Integrity in Romanian Business Environment. Research on the Mechanisms for Ethics Institutionalization in Companies, 2011]; Transparency International Romania, Bucharest.
• DUCU, Cristian (2011), Rolul diferitelor tipuri de organizatii [The Role of Various Types of Organizations]; in Borțun, Dumitru & Camelia Crisan & Dragos Dehelean & Cristian Ducu & Georgiana Grigore & Cristina Horia & Luminita Oprea & Alin Stancu (2011), Parteneriate sustenabile și bune practici în responsabilitatea socială; JCI Romania, Bucharest, 72-85. (ISBN: 978-973-0-11520-8)
• DUCU, Cristian (2011), “Jos cu RSC-ul! Sus etica în afaceri!” Regândind locul RSC în arhitectura organizaţiilor [“Down with CSR! Up with Business Ethics!” Rethinking the Place of CSR in the Organizational Architecture]; in Borţun, Dumitru (ed.)(2011), Responsabilitatea socială corporativă: de la relaţiile publice la dezvoltarea durabilă; Tritonic, Bucureşti, 2011, pp. 68-83. (SNSPA, Bucureşti, 2010, pp. 68-82; Tritonic, Bucureşti, ISBN: 978-973-711-282-8.)
• DUCU, Cristian (2008), J.S. Mill’s Arguments on Non-Intervention; in V. Mureşan & C. Ducu (eds.)(2008), Proceedings of the International Conference “John Stuart Mill 1806-2006”, Bucharest, November 3-4, 2006; University of Bucharest Press, Bucureşti, 2008, pp. 153-174.
1.3. Forthcoming and laboratory
• DUCU, Cristian (forthcoming 2015), Auctoritas’ şi cunoaşterea umană potrivit lui Thoma de Aquino [Auctoritas and Human Knowledge in Thomas Aquinas]; in Cristian Ducu & Cătălina Gîrbea & Dana Florean (eds.)(forthcoming 2015), Problema cunoaşterii în Evul Mediu (sec. XII-XIV) [The Problem of Knowledge in the High Middle Ages]; Bucureşti.
Conferences, Lectures, Talks (selection)
A comprehensive and up to date list of my interventions, divided between business and academic contributions, is available on my website.
• Invited speaker at the “Improving Anti-Corruption Policies and Practices through an Active Civil Society Participation”, 25-26 May 2017, Romanian Academy / Senate of Romania, Bucharest, Romania. Organizer: EUROLINK – House of Europe Foundation.
• DUCU, Cristian (2017), Looby-ul si traficul de influenta pentru profesionistii din administratia publica [Lobby and Influence-Peddling for Romanian Public Administration Professionals]; invited at the “Integritatea si prevenirea coruptiei in sectorul public” (“Corruption Prevention and Integrity in the Public Sector”) Workshop, May 25, HQ of the Giurgiu County Inspectorate for Emergency Situations, Giurgiu, Romania. Organizers: Giurgiu County Council and General Directorate of Anti-Corruption – Giurgiu.
• DUCU, Cristian (2017), The Enhanced Paradigm regarding the Effectiveness of the Ethics & Compliance Programs; invited at the “Thomson Reuters Risk Roadshow 2017”, May 11, Epoque Hotel, Bucharest, Romania.
• DUCU, Cristian (2017), Looking beyond Regulatory Compliance. The Costs Associated to Toxic Organisational Practices; at “The Corporate Governance Conference“, 2017 Edition — “The Future of Corporate Governance: New Regulations, Best Practices, and Corporate Culture”, May 5, Hilton Cyprus Hotel, Nicosia, Cyprus. [NB: A different presentation than the one delivered at the 2017 European Ethics & Compliance Forum.]
• Panelist at the “2017 OECD Anti-Corruption and Integrity Forum“, 19. “Anti-Corruption Strategies for Small and Medium-sized Enterprises”, 31 March 2017, OECD Conference Centre, Paris, France. Organizer: OECD.
• DUCU, Cristian (2017), Building an Effective Ethics & Compliance Program; at “1st Annual Global Anti-corruption, Compliance & Ethics Summit“, March 16-17, Radisson Blu Lisbon, Portugal.
• DUCU, Cristian (2016), Failing to Build a Corporate Culture of Integrity: the “Tone at the Top” Factor; at Corporate Governance Team Day, April 20, Novotel Bucharest City Centre. Organizer: Sustainalytics.
• DUCU, Cristian (2016), The Culture of Sabotage in Romanian Business Organisations; at Corporate Compliance Conference, March 24, Marriott Hotel Bucharest, Romania. Organizers: Wolf Theiss, EY Romania, Trace International, US Embassy.
• DUCU, Cristian (2016), Ethics & Compliance Reporting in Non-Financial Transparency Era. Challenges and Approaches; at 2016 Romanian Ethics and Compliance Forum (RECF2016), 1st Edition, February 11, Unicredit Bank Bucharest HQ, Romania.
• DUCU, Cristian (2015), Ethical Assessment of Clinical Trials in Romanian Medical Environment; at Outsourcing Clinical Trials in Emerging European Countries (OCTEEC), October 1-2, Bucharest, Romania.
• DUCU, Cristian (2015), Moral Leadership, Employee Motivation, and Organisational Performance; at National Human Resources Conference, September 25, Bucharest, Romania.
• DUCU, Cristian & Diana Trifu (2014), Assessing Responsible Sourcing as Part of Corporate Sustainability. A Case Study: Extractive Industry; at “3rd International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethics, and Sustainable Business“, Blanquerna School of Communication and International Relations, Ramon Llull University, Barcelona, October 9-10, 2014.
• DUCU, Cristian (2014), Morala in vremea lui Constantin Brancoveanu: intre teologie, filosofie si literatura [Ethics during Constantin Brancoveanu’s Kingship: theology, philosophy or literature?]; at “1714-2014. Constantin Brancoveanu Tricentenary”, Bucharest Academy of Economic Sciences, April 2, 2014.
• DUCU, Cristian (2013), Profit versus Binele Comun. Cât de etice îşi permit să fie companiile? [Profit vs. the Common Good. How Ethical Companies Afford to Be?]; at “Poor Rich Country. The Responsibilities of Economy” Debate, Konrad Adenauer Stiftung Romania, Howard Johnson Hotel, November 28, 2013. [read more]
• DUCU, Cristian (& Irina Stanciugelu) & Ioana Teodora Raicu (2013), The Social Responsibility of Mass-Media Institutions. Remapping the Organizational Responsibility; at International Conference “Towards the Good Society – European Perspectives”, Romanian Academy of Sciences, Bucharest, October 25-26, 2013.
• DUCU, Cristian & Irina Stanciugelu (2013), Reconsidering the Social Responsibility of Mass-Media Institutions; at the 2nd “International Conference in Social Responsibility, Ethics, and Sustainable Business”, Bournemouth University, Bournemouth, September 5-6, 2013.
• TRIFU, Diana & Cristian Ducu & Ana Constantinescu (2012), Is There a Moral Obligation of Wealthy Countries towards Protecting Human Rights in Poor Countries?; at the “Human Rights Thought and Practice in the Contemporary World“, London School of Economics and Political Science, London, November 24, 2012.
• DUCU, Cristian & Francesca Mazzucato & Ana Constantinescu & Ioana Teodora Raicu (2012), Individual and Corporate Responsibility: Measuring the Effectiveness of Ethics Training in Organizations; at the 1st edition of the International Conference on Social Responsibility, Ethics, and Sustainable Business 2012, Bucharest University of Economic Studies, Bucharest, October 22-23, 2012.
• DUCU, Cristian (2012), Why Should a Company Develop an Ethics & Compliance Management System? Preventing Internal Fraud; at the 1st Romanian Compliance Conference, Romanian Banking Institute, Bucharest, February 7, 2012.
• DUCU, Cristian (2011), Consultanţa morală în spitale şi în medicina de familie. Cum ar trebui tratate cazurile terminale [Moral Counseling in Hospitals and Family Medicine. How terminal patients should be treated]; at the 6th National Conference of Interdisciplinary Studies in Internal Medicine: “Clinical Case – from general to particular. Implications for prevention”, Workgroup for Interdisciplinarity Studies in Internal Medicine, Bucharest, November 25-26, 2011.
• DUCU, Cristian & Isabella Trifan & Teodora Raicu & Monica Matei (2011), Ethical Evaluation of New Techonologies in the ICT Sector. Challenges and Practical Approaches – Case Study: Cloud Computing in Medical Environment; at the Bucharest Conference in Applied Ethics 2011: “Ethical Aspects in New and Emerging Technologies”, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Bucharest, October 28-29, 2011.
• DUCU, Cristian & Valentin Mureşan & Emanuel Socaciu (2011), Aspecte privind instituţionalizarea eticii în domeniul cercetării asupra terapiilor celulare. Situaţia actuală şi priorităţile propuse [Aspects concerning the Institutionalization of Ethics in Research on Cell Therapies. Current Situation and Priorities]; at the Closing Session for PRIORI STRATEC research project, “Victor Babes” National Institute of Pathology, Bucharest, June 23, 2011.
• DUCU, Cristian (2011), Is Business Integrity Relative to Social Capital? Seeing Things Differently; at the “Regional Conference on Integrity in Private Sector – Together for Integrity”, Transparency International Romania, Sibiu, June 1-3, 2011.
• DUCU, Cristian (2011), Moving to Mandatory CSR? Or How to Put Your Eggs in the Wrong Basket; at the Annual Colloquium of the Communication and Public Relations Department, Faculty of Letters, University of Bucharest, Bucharest, May 27-28, 2011.
• DUCU, Cristian & Raluca Petrescu & Elena Bărcaru & Anamaria Vasile (2011), Can Ethical Dilemma Provide a Specific Mindset for Ethics Committee Members in Universities?; at the 2nd International Conference on Ethics and Professional Culture: “Meddling with other people’s work. Cross-disciplinary Approaches on Moral Conflicts and (Mis)Communication in Organizations”, Center for Applied Philosophy, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, April 15-16, 2011.
• NASTASE, Alexandru & Cristian Ducu & Toni Gibea & Alexandra Grigore & Oana Radu & Ana Mihai & Andreea Toma & Oana Hîrşeu & Irina Crăciun & Dana Cazacu & Andrei Orăşanu & Ioana Văcăraşu & Adina Burchiu & Alexandra Puescu & Eliza Dumitriu (2011), Communicating Ethical Norms in Corporate Environment; at the 2nd International Conference on Ethics and Professional Culture: “Meddling with other people’s work. Cross-disciplinary Approaches on Moral Conflicts and (Mis)Communication in Organizations”, Center for Applied Philosophy, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, April 15-16, 2011.
• ANGHEL, Iulia & Cristian Ducu & Delia Ivan & Alexandra Ionescu (2011), Moral Consulting in Romanian Health Care Institutions. Overcoming the Paternalism of the Medical Personnel; at the 2nd International Conference on Ethics and Professional Culture: “Meddling with other people’s work. Cross-disciplinary Approaches on Moral Conflicts and (Mis)Communication in Organizations”, Center for Applied Philosophy, Babes-Bolyai University, Cluj-Napoca, April 15-16, 2011.
• DUCU, Cristian (2011), Întărind credibilitatea programelor de CSR prin susţinerea economiei sociale [Strengthening the Credibility of CSR Programs by supporting the Social Economy]; at the “Rolul parteneriatului în dezvoltarea economiei sociale” [The Role of Partnership in Social Economy Development], Romanian Ministry of Labor, Family and Social Protection, Timişoara, April 13-15, 2011.
• DUCU, Cristian & Georgiana Ciobanu (2010), Câteva reflecţii asupra metodelor (euristice) simple de decizie etică [Some Reflections on Simple (Heuristic) Ethical Decision Making Methods]; at “Applied Ethics Workshops”, Research Centre in Applied Ethics, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, November 11, 2010.
• DUCU, Cristian & Iulia Anghel & Oana Radu (2010), Pot face diferenţa normele morale în spitalele româneşti? [Can Moral Norms Make the Difference in Romanian Hospitals?]; at the Bucharest Conference in Applied Ethics 2010, 3rd ed.: “Legislating Ethics”, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Bucharest, October 29-30, 2010.
• DUCU, Cristian & Georgiana Ciobanu & Raluca Enescu (2010), Eficacitatea codurilor universitare de etică. O problemă neluată în seamă [The Effectiveness of the University Codes of Ethics. A Left-Over Issue]; at the Bucharest Conference in Applied Ethics 2010, 3rd ed.: “Legislating Ethics”, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Bucharest, October 29-30, 2010.
• DUCU, Cristian (2010), Ecotopia şi alte iluzii ale responsabilităţii sociale corporative [Ecotopy and Other Illusions regarding Corporate Social Responsibility]; at the “Public Debates on Applied Ethics”, Research Centre in Applied Ethics, Faculty of Philosophy, University of Bucharest, Bucharest, May 28, 2010.
• DUCU, Cristian (2010), Tipuri de expertiză etică în organizaţii. O cartografiere a expertizei etice în contextul sistemelor de management al eticii [Types of Ethical Expertise in Organizations. A Map of Ethical Expertise in the Context of the Ethics Management Systems]; at the “Criza instituţională a filosofiei în sistemul educaţional românesc. Problematizări şi soluţii pentru ieşirea din criză” Symposium, European College Foundation, Cluj-Napoca, April 23, 2010.